2021 Schedule Vermont Tier 2 & Tier 3 Rivers & Roads Training Program
Sponsored by VT Rivers Program, VT Fish & Wildlife Program and VT Transportation Agency
Tier 1 Online River and Roads Slide Show:
• This slide show presentation discusses river terms and concepts to provide a background for the Tier 2 class. The slide show may take 30 minutes to an hour to review and includes some quick quizzes that are not recorded but provide immediate feedback for the user. Important Note: the slide show works best using Internet Explorer, and we do not recommend the use of Chrome, Firefox of Edge platforms.
• Click on this link to view the Tier 1 slideshow https://anrweb.vt.gov/DEC/RoadsTraining/Default.aspx Tier 2 River and Roads workshops:
Watch this fun video link from VPR Outdoors Edition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOBMq2gYP_k
Tier 2 - In person / Indoors and Field Sites
is a two-day training and is both indoors and outdoor. Bring, or wear, appropriate field clothes and waterproof boots or old sneakers you can get wet! Each day will be indoors for slide shows and class exercises and river flume table demonstrations and outdoors on rivers and streams to observe in the field what we’ve seen and discussed indoors.
Workshop at VTrans Training Center (VTTC) in Berlin: Open to all municipal staff, state staff, construction contractors, engineers, consultants, regional planning commission staff, conservation districts, and others working with communities on river and road related issues.
• October 12th & 13th at VTrans Training Center (VTTC) at 1716 Route 302 in Berlin
Tier 3 River & Roads – Advanced Flood Recovery & River Management Training Modules:
• Tier 1 and Tier 2 River and Roads trainings are a prerequisite to register for Tier 3.
• Each training subject is a one-day class. There is no requirement to take them all and/or one topic prior to the other.
• Participants are encouraged to review the “Vermont Standard River Management Principals and Practices version 1.3” prior to the trainings. http://dec.vermont.gov/watershed/rivers/river-management#principles
• Trainings held at the VTrans Dill Building at 2178 Airport Rd, Berlin, Vermont (options for attending these trainings remotely are currently being developed to allow us both in-person and remote participation; details to come in Sept/early Oct.)
- November 3rd (snow date Nov. 10th) - Sediment and large wood removal
- December 1st (snow date Dec. 8th) - Bridge and culvert Replacement.
- January 20th (snow date Jan. 27th)- Floodplain Restoration;
- February 17th (snow date Feb. 24th)- Channel stabilization
Sign-up for events go through:
• Non-state staff: contact Staci Pomeroy: (firstname.lastname@example.org, 802-490-6191) or Todd Menees, email@example.com, 802-345-3510)
• State/municipal staff: SOV LINC (look at the events calendar for the “Rivers and Roads Tier II and Tier III”)