Rivers & Roads Trainings 2022 (schedule.pdf)
Sponsored by VT Rivers Program, VT Fish & Wildlife Program and VT Transportation Agency
To preserve, enhance, restore, and conserve Vermont's natural resources, and protect human health, for the benefit of this and future generations.
Tier 1 Online River and Roads Slide Show:
• This slide show presentation discusses river terms and concepts to provide a background for the Tier 2 class. The slide show may take 30 minutes to an hour to review and includes some quick quizzes that are not recorded but provide immediate feedback for the user.
Tier 2 River and Roads workshops:
• Tier 2 is a two-day training and is both indoors and outdoors. Bring, or wear, appropriate field clothes and waterproof boots or old sneakers you can get wet! Each day will be indoors for slide shows and class exercises and river flume table demonstrations and outdoors on rivers and streams to observe in the field what we’ve seen and discussed indoors.
Regional Workshops with Vermont Local Roads (VLR):
Open to municipal staff, state staff, and limited regional planning commission staff, conservation districts, and contractors and consultants that are working directly with municipalities on river and road related issues. Trainings are from 8:30am - 4:00pm
• May 18th & 19th @ Milton Fire station - 47 Bombardier Rd, Milton, VT
• October 5th & 6th @ Weathersfield Town Garage,483 Stoughton Pond Rd. Perkinsville, VT
Workshop at VTrans Training Center (VTTC) in Berlin : Open to all municipal staff, state staff, construction contractors, engineers, consultants, regional planning commission staff, conservation districts, and others working with communities on river and road related issues. Trainings are from 8:30am - 4:00pm
• June 1st & 2nd @ 1716 Route 302 in Berlin)
• October 19th & 20th @ 1716 Route 302 in Berlin)
Tier 3 River & Roads – Advanced Flood Recovery & River Management Training Modules:
• Tier 1 and Tier 2 River and Roads trainings are a prerequisite to register for Tier 3.
• Each training subject is a one-day class. There is no requirement to take them all and/or one topic prior to the other.
• We will be offering options for both in-person and remote participation. We encourage in-person participation, if possible, but we hope this will provide all who are interested a chance to join us. We will provide links and information to participants as we get closer to each training date.
• Please note that are “snow dates” also set aside for trainings. We will give notice the day prior to the training if there is a need to postpone the training, due to weather, to the snow date.
• All trainings are from 8:30am - 4:00pm will be @ VTrans Dill Building at 2178 Airport Rd, Berlin, Vermont
• January 20th (snow date Jan. 27th)- Floodplain Restoration
• February 17th (snow date Feb. 24th)- Channel stabilization
• March 17th (snow date March 24th) - Sediment and Large Wood Removal
• April 14th (no snow date) - Bridge and Culvert Replacement.
Sign-up for events go through:
• State/municipal staff: SOV LINC (look at the events calendar for the “Rivers and Roads Tier II and Tier III”)